The JINR Gigabit network infrastructure is an aggregation of the multifunctional network equipment and specialized software, which forms the basis to build the advanced information and computing JINR infrastructure over it.
The main goals of the JINR network infrastructure:
- creation of the common informational space of the available computing and storage resources in JINR;
- creation of the common information space for all categories of the JINR workers, providing the possibilities for the data exchange between the JINR divisions, and between JINR Administration and divisions;
- organization and provision of the network access to the JINR central resources and resources, and resources, located in the JINR divisions, for the different users groups;
- support of the availability of the JINR GRID segment, as the significant part of Russia Distributed Information Grid (RDIG) structure;
- provision the access to the INTERNET resources;
- support of the common network services: email (SMTP, IMAP, POP3, WebMail), file exchange (ftp, scp, sftp, http, https), security (ssh, https, TACACS authentication), dns, users accounting, maintaining of the networks elements - IPDB, etc.
The JINR network infrastructure consists of the following components:
- The external JINR-Moscow optical telecommunication data channel;
- The JINR Local Backbone Network;
- The Local Networks of the JINR divisions.
By the JINR Administration mandate Laboratory of the Information Technology is responsible for maintaining of the external channel and the JINR optical backbone.
Networks in the JINR divisions are supported by the specialists from these divisions.
The external optical telecommunication channel uses 10Gbps Ethernet over DWDM approach, when Ethernet data frames are transmitted by the DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) technology signal.
The most attractive feature of the DWDM technology comparing with the traditional optic technologies which transfers one data signal over a single fiber is parallel transfer of the multiple digital signals over a single fiber. To achieve this remarkable property digital signal stream is parsed into multiple chunks which to be sent over the single fiber by multiple virtual optics channels, called lambdas (λ). Modern state of the DWDM allows up to 160 λ-s. Each λ has its own frequency value, and λ-s do not overlap.
The optical equipment of the Nortel Systems company (Canada) were installed in three places: in the central telecommunication node in LIT (r.215, bld.134), in the settlement of Radishevo (130 km off Dubna), in the Moscow Internet Exchange – MIX (Butlerova Str.). This type of the equipment works with λ = 10Gbps. We have two λ-s, it means in total JINR telecommunication optical channel has a capacity of 20Gbps.
The JINR network has direct connection to the following scientific, educational and public networks:
- GEANT – European scientific and educational network – 10Gbps,
- RBNet – Russian Backbone scientific network – 10Gbps ,
- Moscow ant Saint-Petersburg scientific and educational network - 10Gbps,
- Internet - 10Gbps.
The intercommunications to city networks are organized on the basis of the specialized data exchange node DBN-IX. JINR Local network has direct connection to the following networks: LAN-Polis (Net-by-Net) – 100Mbps, Contact – 1Gbps, Telecom-MPK – 1Gbps.
The JINR Local Network is a campus-type network (a campus is an extended student town or a research center with multiple distributed buildings).
The JINR LAN includes an explicit backbone and access networks. The access networks in JINR are users’ networks of the scientific and administrative divisions; they are maintained and developed by the staff of the divisions. There are a number of switches installed on the backbone to serve as the input/output gateways for the corresponding divisions. These switches being part of the JINR optical transport backbone physically located in the divisions, but under control of the JINR LIT network operations center. Access switch ports which face the internal division structure are under control of local division staff. Thus the backbone switches, the optical transport cable, the equipment of the central telecommunication node, the external telecommunication optical channel are under supervision of the LIT NOC.
Since the mid of 2010 JINR network deploys on two data speeds, or data rate. Three Laboratories LIT, LNP, LPHE use 10Gbps data rate, the rest use 1Gbps data rate.
Archive of Network Center